Joseph C. Giuliani founded Giuliani Associates in 1959 after working for the Army Corps of Engineers, then in the facilities and properties department of Capital Airlines. Among his first commissions were tenants of Washington Dulles International Airport. Giuliani Associates was retained by many of the major airlines and car rental companies to design the tenant spaces in Eero Saarinen’s main terminal. Mr. Giuliani also designed many of the operational spaces including the spaces now under concourses C & D.
Other projects included services provided from Boston Logan International Airport to Miami International Airport and as far west as Phoenix Arizona. During the 1960′ and 70’s under the direction of Joseph Giuliani, the firm designed facilities at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport for the following tenants:
- Allegheny Airlines – Tenant and Operational Spaces
- American Airlines – New Terminal Building, Club and Operational Spaces
- Avis – Tenant and Operational Spaces
- Delta Airlines – Tenant and Operational Spaces
- Dollar – Tenant and Operational Spaces
- Eastern Airlines – Tenant and Operational Spaces
- Hertz -Tenant and Operational Spaces
- National Airlines – Tenant and Operational Spaces
- Northeast Airlines – Tenant and Operational Spaces
- Northwest Airlines – New Terminal Building and Operational Spaces
- Piedmont Airlines – New Terminal Building and Operational Spaces
- United Airlines – Tenant, Club and Operational Spaces
Joseph Giuliani also started to design food & beverages spaces throughout the US for Art Spring of Host International. Expanding into the food and beverage business enabled Giuliani Associates to build its interiors business. At the same time, Giuliani Associates continued to building its transportation sector by expanding its portfolio to include new cargo buildings for the Maryland Aviation Authority at Friendship International Airport, now known as Thurgood Marshall Baltimore Washington International Airport.
During the 1980s, Mr. Giuliani became President of the DC AIA and the Washington Building Congress. He earned his Fellowship with the AIA in 1982. As a professional he was retained by Ed Colodny of Allegheny Airlines during the merger of Alleghany and Piedmont to assist in the merger. Mr. Giuliani had worked with both airlines previously and designed Allegheny’s livery. One issue facing the two airlines during their merger into US Air was how to manage their facilities at DCA. Just prior to the merger, the FAA had relinquished day to day control of DCA and IAD to a new organization called the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. Today, Mr. Giuliani is enjoying retirement and his wife, two children and three grandchildren.
The Authority had just announced the revitalization of DCA which would include the demolition of the Piedmont terminal. There simply was not enough space on the airport to accommodate the operations of an airline the size of US Air.
The solution Giuliani Associates developed was to use combine all of Piedmont’s and Allegheny’s operations into hangars 11 and 12. Hangar 12 remained operational as aircraft maintenance hangar while hangar 11 was completely gutted and converted to a terminal and concourse. This was not an easy task to pull off as the WPA era hangars had historic significance. Working with the airport authority, the design enabled temporary storage of hangar doors and other artifacts while the hangar underwent its transformation and new life as a terminal and concourse. After the completion of Terminal B & C, designed by Pelli, the hangars were transformed back into operational maintenance hangars.
Mr. Giuliani continued to practice architecture into the late 1990’s and early 2000s expanding his portfolio to included the historic renovation of St. Patricks in the City and The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle.
Bachelor of Architecture
The Catholic University of America, 1956
Mr. Giuliani was licensed in over a dozen states prior to retiring.