Image of Air France Lounge, IAD © Copyright John Cole, All Rights Reserved.
DESIGN / BUILD TEAM
Architecture & Interiors | Giuliani Associates
MEP Engineering | Ashe Consultants
Builder | Hitt Contracting
Landlord | Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
Onwer | Air France
Giuliani Associates was retained by Air France to implement their new branding developed by Brand Imaging. The project involved taking schemes from napkin charrettes and implementing them into of construction documents. Giuliani also managed contract administration and post construction services by placing as built documents, warranties, and manuals on line for easy access by Air France.
Project Description: For passenger convenience, Air France assumed the lease of an existing 5,000 SF airline lounge located near its departure gate on Concourse A at Washington Dulles International Airport. To accommodate Air France’s program requirements to provide special services for first class and VIP passengers, the facility was subdivided into first class and VIP Lounges, and the lounges were renovated and enhanced to reflect Air France’s brand image:
- All of the existing finishes were replaced.
- New millwork, including low dividing partitions, was provided.
- New furnishings and fixtures were provided.
- A new double-facing bar serving both the first class and VIP Lounges was developed.
- Existing kitchen was modified to meet Air France’s specific operating needs
- New bar equipment was provided and selected food service equipment was replaced.
- A new shower room with specialty finishes was constructed.
- Existing utility distribution systems were modified to accommodate new equipment and facility layout.
Professional Services: To determine the feasibility of redeveloping the facility to Air France standards, the design team was tasked with evaluating the existing lounge and preparing a detailed construction cost estimate and anticipated renovation schedule. After determination of the project viability, Air France engaged the Giuliani Design Team as a partner in the development of the project. As a member of the multiple discipline team, Giuliani Associates provided the following architectural services:
- Field verification and assessment of existing furnishings, equipment, and facility layout
- Collaborating with Air France design staff for the programming and conceptualization of the project
- Developing the facility design to comply with Air France design standards
- Selection of domestic materials to match European finish standardsSelection of domestic materials to match European finish standards
- Preparation of drawings and specifications to comply with the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) Design Manual
- Coordination of engineering distribution systems with architectural features
Provision of construction support services (submittal review, RFI responses, and contract amendments)
Award: The Air France First Class Lounge received an Award of Excellence for Interior Tenant Space by the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.