Giuliani Associate has been under contract to Carter Burgess, Jacobs, Parsons, and Raytheon to provide airport security review and design at hundreds of airports across the United States. Tasks included everything from existing condition surveys and hazard documentation to designing faster more efficient passenger security screening as part of a Homeland Security / TSA upgrade to new technologies. The following describes our experiences at airports controlled by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey where Giuliani Associates has been designing projects since the 1950’s.
Description: As part of a nationwide deployment of new passenger screening equipment, passenger screening checkpoints were revamped, reconfigured, and upgraded. Interior partitions were relocated as required, queue control devices were provided, and interior finishes modified. Existing utility infrastructure was upgraded to accommodate new equipment and reconfigured to accommodate new checkpoint layouts. TSA facilities in 3 New York area airports were reconstructed on a task order basis to implement the deployment of advanced technology, including the following:
Terminal-1 Checkpoint; Terminal-2 Checkpoint; Terminal-3 Customer Service, East, West, 3/4, 3/12, 3/15, and 3/123 Checkpoints; Terminal-4 East and West Checkpoints; Terminal-5 Checkpoint; Terminal 7 East, West, and Main Checkpoints; Terminal-8 Checkpoint
Delta Terminal Main and East Checkpoints; US Airways Terminal Main and East Checkpoints; Central Terminal Building A, B, C and D Checkpoints; Marine Air Terminal Checkpoint; Delta Shuttle Checkpoint
Terminal A A1, A2 and A3 Checkpoints; Terminal B B1, B2 and B3 Checkpoints, Terminal C C1, C2 and C3 Checkpoints.
Professional Services: Assignments issued on task order basis included the following tasks:
- Existing checkpoint configuration and equipment was surveyed and documented, as-built drawings and assessment reports were prepared.
- Passenger flow analyses were conducted in conjunction with analyses of equipment clearance requirements.
- Concept drawings were produced for deployment of advanced technology equipment and checkpoint reconfiguration for TSA reviews and approvals.
- Complete construction / permit drawings and specifications were prepared in compliance with airport design and development standards and local code requirements and implementation of the checkpoint refurbishments and equipment deployment.
- Construction administration services (submittal review, RFI responses, and contract amendments) were provided.